Battery Energy Storage Systems, a Sustainable Energy Solution
If your business is concerned about the threat of power loss, managing energy demand more economically, or energy sustainability, renting a battery energy storage system (BESS) can be a reliable option.
A BESS is a sustainable energy storage solution that collects and stores energy from the grid or a generator and then discharges it later to provide a reliable source of electricity when needed. BESS units can have a wide range of power and storage capacities.
Sunbelt Rentals is your partner for all your equipment needs and offers energy storage system rentals for your project or business.
What is a battery energy storage system?
A battery energy storage system (BESS) is a multicomponent system able to store varying amounts of energy and use it later for a multitude of purpose, including supplementing generator or grid power.
How does a battery energy storage system work?
A battery energy storage system (BESS) collects energy and stores it using battery storage technology. When needed, batteries discharge and release the stored energy.
Here’s how it works:
● When the grid or generator is supplying power to the site, excess power is used to recharge the batteries.
● The BESS inverter converts the stored DC energy into AC energy. When the BESS is disconnected from the grid or the generator is switched OFF, the energy load is supplied by the BESS. The changeover is seamless, and the hybrid quietly provides power.
● The generator restarts when batteries are depleted or when the energy load exceeds what the unit can support.
BESSs are designed to maximize both kilowatts (kW) and kilowatt hours (kWh). If you use the system to reduce utility charges during peak hours, the system can efficiently charge many times over short durations of time. If you need the system for backup power, it is designed to discharge over a longer period. BESSs are rated for power capacity (measured in kW) and energy capacity (measured in kWh).
What are the benefits of a battery energy storage system?
With a battery energy storage system (BESS), you can reap both economic and environmental benefits, offering sustainability with regard to a reduction in your carbon footprint, as well as noise pollution.
A battery energy storage system:
● Produces critical power needed for projects without running diesel 24/7, which is ideal for maximizing the load efficiency of generators.
● Reduces diesel fuel consumption (and cost) typically by 40% to 60% – and as much as 95% – depending on the application.
● Boosts generator power up to 60 kW for start-up demand.
● Reduces generator run times by as much as 90%.
● Uses telematics (or machine intelligence) for optimal energy management.
● Reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (CO2) by 83%.
● Offers long periods of silent and emission-free operation when the battery unit is providing power, making it a desirable choice when working near schools, hospitals, residential areas, and at entertainment venues.
What are battery energy storage systems used for?
Battery energy storage systems can be used to supply renewable, reliable, eco-friendly power where and when needed in the following applications:
● Mission critical data centers
● Outdoor entertainment events
● Construction sites, including jobsite trailers
● Office, warehouse, and other commercial uses
● Hospitals and healthcare facilities
Should I rent or buy a battery energy storage system?
Renting a battery energy storage system from Sunbelt Rentals is a smart choice for your business and your bottom line. Owning this equipment can tie up capital and reduce your business’s ability to react to changing market conditions. In addition to freeing up cash, a battery energy storage system rental cuts costs by eliminating the need for storage, maintenance and repair parts, a service area, and maintenance staff. Our rental professionals have extensive product knowledge and can provide expert advice and training.
Innovative Energy Solutions
Sunbelt Rentals strives to invest in solutions that will help increase energy efficiency, reduce emissions, and contribute to environmentally friendly ways of working. Our power team offers multiple products and services that can help. We consult with you to address your specific goals and engineer cost-effective solutions. Contact Us today to discuss creating the ultimate innovative power solution for your application.