Reduced Costs For Complex Bypass Pumping Plan
When the integrity of underground pipes deteriorates, water flow to critical systems may be compromised. Aging infrastructure requires attention and maintenance, and sewer rehabilitation projects can be executed to repair lines and keep a community’s wastewater system fully functional and operational. At Sunbelt Rentals, we are well versed in the challenges associated with underground pipe rehabilitation and can offer full turnkey solutions for bypasses, including design, installation and maintenance, to ensure uninterrupted fluid transfer throughout the duration of the project.
This expertise came into play on a cured-in-place pipe (CIPP) lining project in Bessemer, Alabama. Jefferson County commissioners selected Layne Inliner as the prime contractor on the project, and Sunbelt Rentals was awarded the subcontractor role for the bypass system.
Headed up by our Pump & Power Services division, the Sunbelt Rentals team determined that five runs of 18-inch HDPE pipe were needed to achieve the 40 million gallons per day (GPD) flow and to reduce the total dynamic head on the bypass system. The Sunbelt Rentals team then selected the best route for the bypass, which included pipe placement in a drainage canal that ran through the town, alleviating extended disruption of nearby roadways and properties and reducing the cost of placing additional suction structures on the sewer.
The scope of work and rental equipment included:
• Bypass of 6,100 feet of 54-inch diameter reinforced concrete sewer pipe
• Design and installation of five runs of pipe, 18-inch HDPE pipe totaling 18,500 feet
• Six 18-inch QuietFlow™ sound attenuated diesel trash pumps
• Three McElroy 617 TracStar fusion machinesr
• 24.48 million gallons per day
• 24-inch 425 horsepower auto-priming diesel pump to elevate excess creek water below a railroad bridg